On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Mel Flynn wrote:
[ ... -x option... ]
Hmm, that might work. Thanks!

Sure.

It should be surprising that your clock would jump by 6 seconds.  Do
you have adequate upstream timesources (ie, at least 4) configured, is
your local HW clock busted somehow, or are you doing something odd
with power-savings mode or running in a VM or something...?

One timesource, shared on local network, this machine is a client of the gateway, which uses only one source (ntp.alaska.edu, which is geographically 10 minutes by car but thanks to Alaska bad peering, we go through Seattle anyway). I checked the logs, that machine didn't step at all that day (or any other day, as far as my logs go). It always happens after reboot, as Matthew indicated. No VM, no power-savings. The only odd things are Hyperthreading and
the reboot.

OK, a step upon boot is not unusual-- some machines have poor timekeeping with the internal BIOS/battery-backed clock used when the system is off.

Note that NTP falseticker detection really wants to have at least 4 timesources available for the algorithm it uses to detect whether an NTP source is behaving poorly. Try contacting your ISP for nearby NTP sources, or try adding 0.us.pool.ntp.org, 1.us..., & 2.us... to your config; the NTP pool nameservers use a geolocation mechanism to some extent to try and return NTP servers which are close.

Regards,
--
-Chuck