On Monday,  3 March 2003 at 17:55:51 -0500, Alex(ander Sendzimir) wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 17:21, Chad Albert wrote:
>> All I have to do is mount it as if it were a regular drive on the system.  I
>> think the generic kernel has support for USB mass storage devices, so plug
>> your camera in and make note of it's device name then mount it as if it were
>> an msdos drive.  In the following example my camera is /dev/da0s1 so after
>> making a directory called camera in /mnt, I type "mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1
>> /mnt/camera"
>
> Thanks again. That helps. In another post David Kelly suggest gphoto2 in
> ports/graphics. I looked into this and it does support the DSC-F707. So,
> perhaps it will work with the F717, too. Also, it supports your camera.
> I think I will try both approaches and see how they compare. Of course
> (doesn't it figure) I compile my kernel without USB mass storage
> support. Oh, well. It's about time for another kernel compile :-)

My father has a Sony camera as well.  I don't know what model, but I'd
guess that if the F707 shows as a SCSI disk, the F717 will as well.
It's far preferable to use standard interfaces than special software.
Once you have the device, you can mount it as a disk and copy the
files to where they belong.  First create a directory /camera and put
the following entry in /etc/fstab:

/dev/da0s1              /camera         msdos   rw,noauto       0       0

Then, after connecting the camera, you can do things like:

 # mount /camera
 # mkdir Photos
 # cp /camera/directory/* Photos
 # rm /camera/directory/*

Most cameras don't store the photos in the root directory.  For
example, my Nikon camera stores them in /camera/dcim/100nikon.  You'll
have to find out the name of the directory on your camera and replace
the text "directory" with the correct name.

Greg
Please note: we block mail from major spammers, notably yahoo.com.
See http://www.lemis.com/yahoospam.html for further details.