I believe people can get more experience in general with open source
technologies than they can with closed source.  The reason is simple:
I can look at the code.  I can study it.  I can see what
${APPLICATION} is doing, and how the developer designed it.  This, in
itself, makes me better at what I do, and better at troubleshooting my
own code.

I would add - with Open Source add it's far smaller (actually close to zero) probability that it doesn't do anything except it's supposed to do.

I mean things like sending private data to someone else, scanning for other programs i have on disk, my addressbook etc.

If anyone would do this, soon someone else would see it because source code is available for everybody.