On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:45:59 +0200, Bernt Hansson <be...@bah.homeip.net> wrote:
> Mel Flynn said the following on 2009-06-12 01:23:
> >> FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #0: Thu Jun 11 21:56:24 CEST 2009
> >>     r...@fqdn:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> >                                      ^^^^^^^
> > Did you edit GENERIC
>
> Yes. Added sound and snd_hda

Polite note: This is NOT the way to create a custom kernel. The
handbook mentions that it's advised to create a copy of GENERIC
and work with that. It's even possible to create a config file
from scratch, including material from LINT and NOTES, as well
as from GENERIC.

In order to avoid problems, you should follow this advice given
in the handbook.

> > or did you forget to set KERNCONF during build/installkernel?
>
> No. cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> reboot
>
> is what I did. No snd_hda

It looks understandable (allthough not mentioned in the handbook).
Just to be sure, try the recommended approach. If you're not using
KERNCONF, GENERIC will be selected automatically.

        # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
        # cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
        (or use any other descriptive name instead of MYKERNEL).
        edit MYKERNEL and add
                device sound
                device snd_hda
        # cd /usr/src
        # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
        # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
        # reboot

Check /etc/make.conf and /etc/src.conf for any strange values
that may be a reason for our strange observations.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0