On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 21:04:26 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar <woj...@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> > up-to-date HEAD:
> >
> > FreeBSD mac.draftnet 8.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Jun 16 22:07:11 BST 2009
> > bru...@mac.draftnet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IBOOK powerpc
> >
> > The problem I see is that after a few hours of running buildworld,
> > when it starts building clang itself, 'as' crashes with a signal 11.
> >
> always at the same point or in random places?
>
> if first - it's probably not hardware problem.

It's at a random location, but it always happens after the build has
been running for a few hours and when it's ended up swapping some
processes out of main memory.  I've read
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#SIGNAL11 and
wondered if the collatoral is a normal symptom too.

> > I'm wondering if this is the normal case of bad memory/HDD/CPU or
> > something else because it also causes several other processes to
> > crash, notably dhclient and sendmail, but I've also seen tcsh crash
> > too.  I created a test program which allocated 500MB memory to
> > force the system into swap (my iBook only has 512MB).  After a few
> > minutes dhclient crashed but the test program kept running.  Is
> > this what normally happens when hardware's going bad?
>
> isn't it going out of swap?

No, it's definitely not running out of swap, since I have 4.5GB
available! For example using the test program I allocate 500MB
memory; 95MB swap gets used but after a few minutes I get:

pid 470 (dhclient), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 1002 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
pid 1054 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
pid 1104 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
pid 1156 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
pid 1207 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11

but my test program keeps running:

1227 v1 R+ 2:06.23 /usr/obj/home/brucec/test

--
Bruce