The problem I see is that after a few hours of running buildworld,
when it starts building clang itself, 'as' crashes with a signal 11.

always at the same point or in random places?

if first - it's probably not hardware problem.

It's at a random location, but it always happens after the build has
been running for a few hours and when it's ended up swapping some
processes out of main memory.  I've read

so it is hardware problem.

As it start crashing when swap is used, it may be not memory but chipset problem - works fine until disk I/O is used.