On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 20:26 +0000, freebsd-questions-requ...@freebsd.org
wrote:
> Message: 12
> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:40:44 +0200
> From: Roland Smith <rsm...@xs4all.nl>
> Subject: Re: Re: Which latex should I install
> To: af300...@gmail.com
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

> > > No, but it's not necessary.  Just go here
> > > <http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html> and download the DVD
> image.
> >
> > well.. I'll wait for some kind sole to put a texlive port together.
> > Tetex port has been enough for me for some years now.
>
> The thing is that teTeX hasn't been updated in years. It has in fact
> been deprecated in favor of TeXLive. This is not a big problem with
> the
> basic TeX engine, because that doesn't change that much. But pdfTeX (a
> TeX that generates PDF output instead of DVI) has been evolving
> rapidly. And you'll miss out on several years of updates of the macro
> packages (like LaTeX and ConTeXt).
>
> Another consideration is that TeXLive contains a much larger choice of
> additional packages than teTeX.
>
> So I would advise you to install TeXLive. The latest DVD comes with
> FreeBSD binaries.
>
> Look at the mailing list archives for threads called "LaTeX oder
> teTeX"
> in October 2007, and "Installing latest version of LaTeX" in June
> 2009. In those threads I've posted some instructions on how to get
> TeXLive to work. Installation is pretty easy, but you have to change
> login.conf and manpath.conf to use the binaries and manpages. Normally
> TeXLive keeps everything under its own tree (/usr/local/texlive), so
> it
> won't mess up the trees /usr/local/{bin,share,...}. Do _not_ tell the
> installer to put symbolic links in /usr/local/bin! That way removing
> TeXLive is as easy as removing /usr/local/texlive.

One thing to add here is that the ports tree remains tied to
teTeX.  If you install TexLive (either from DVD or Romain's)
and then install a port like texmacs, lyx, texmaker, or auctex
to edit your files, you'll pull in teTeX as a dependency.  You
end up with both teTeX and TeXLive installed.  If someone knows
how to avoid the duplicity, please do chime in - I'm not a fan
of having both.  I require TeXLive for the mathematics typesetting
I do.

Sincerely,
Pat