Hi, I've been meaning to sort this out since the release of 7.1p5, but only
just got around to it - I have an installation of 7.1 that runs bind and has
been working fine up until I tried to update the system to 7.1p5 (using
freebsd-update). As soon as I apply the update & reboot, named loads but the
startup script hangs.

If I press Ctrl+C, the system continues to boot. If I then run /etc/rc.d/named
start, named starts, but again the script hangs. I can do DNS lookups while
named is running, so it seems to be functioning ok.
I tried adding various echo statements to /etc/rc.d/named and found that the
script seems to run right through. The hang occurs where /etc/rc.subr echoes
out "Starting named" after the named script has run and that's where things
seem to stop! Nothing else that is started by the rc.d scripts hangs, so I'm
guessing  /etc/rc.subr is ok.

I did a diff of /etc/rc.d/named before & after the upgrade from p4 to p5 (or
p6 which has the same issue) and there are no changes to the file.
Nothing seems to be logged anywhere that shows a problem, so I really have no
idea what to check next.

The only named entry in rc.conf is named_enable="YES". Doing a freebsd-update
rollback restores normal operation and given that bind actually loads 7 seems
to work apart fromthe hanging script, I suspect there's nothing wrong with my
bind configuration.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
--