Dan Naumov wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I have the following setup: a Windows Vista x64 SP1 machine (my
> primary desktop) and a FreeBSD 7.2/amd64 running on a home NAS system
> that's relatively powerful (Intel Atom 330 dualcore, 2gb ram). I would
> like to be able to run xorg and a simple desktop on the headless
> FreeBSD NAS and be able to interact with it from my Vista machine.
> What are the steps I need to take for this? Obviously I need to build
> xorg and some sort of a wm (probably gnome2-lite) on the FreeBSD
> machine and install an xserver on the Vista machine, but then what?
> Any pointers to guides and such are welcome.

You do not need a wm on the FreeBSD machine, since your Vista machine
already is (with the right software of course, like Xming). If you want
to tunnel your X traffic through ssh, then you'll need a ssh client on
Vista as well. Putty will suffice.

I think that's it: start Xming, ssh into your FreeBSD, your DISPLAY
environment will be set to localhost:10.0 (that's the default offset).
and fire some X client (say xterm) and it will show on your Vista.

Peter

--
http://www.boosten.org