> On 2003-03-06 10:51, Brian Henning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > i am able to perform the following command fine when i want to send
> > mail on the local network.
> >
> > cat input_message.txt | mail -s "hello world" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > is there a flag that i can pass to mail to tell it to use the proper
> > server for when i want to perform this operation to an address
> > outside my local network?
> >
> > cat input_message.txt | mail -s "hello world" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Have you checked your /var/log/maillog file?  Any hints there?
>
> When you say that you are unable to use mail(1), do you mean that you
> get the message returned to your local mailbox?  If yes, what is the
> precise error that the failed delivery contains?
>
> - Giorgos

... while talking to mail.navitaire.com.:
>>> MAIL From:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> SIZE=389
<<< 553 5.1.8 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Domain of sender address henni
[EMAIL PROTECTED] does not exist

the error seems to point to the domain name of my internal network... is there a
way to change this such that the  server will accept my emial?

thanks,
brian