On 2003-03-06 11:16, Brian Henning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 2003-03-06 10:51, Brian Henning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > i am able to perform the following command fine when i want to send
> > > mail on the local network.
> > >
> > > cat input_message.txt | mail -s "hello world" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > is there a flag that i can pass to mail to tell it to use the proper
> > > server for when i want to perform this operation to an address
> > > outside my local network?
> > >
> > > cat input_message.txt | mail -s "hello world" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Have you checked your /var/log/maillog file?  Any hints there?
> >
> > When you say that you are unable to use mail(1), do you mean that you
> > get the message returned to your local mailbox?  If yes, what is the
> > precise error that the failed delivery contains?
>
> ... while talking to mail.navitaire.com.:
> <<< 553 5.1.8 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Domain of sender address henni
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] does not exist
>
> the error seems to point to the domain name of my internal network... is there a
> way to change this such that the  server will accept my emial?

As someone else has already pointed out, you'll need to masquerade
addresses for this to work.  Look at the description of the following
options in the `/usr/share/sendmail/cf/README' file:

        MASQUERADE_AS(...)
        FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain')
        FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')

Optionally, read in the same file about:

        FEATURE(`genericstable', ...)
        FEATURE(`generics_entire_domain')dnl
        GENERICS_DOMAIN(...)

- Giorgos