Brett Wiggins wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Depending on what you want to do with "accessing the source code",
>> it may be valid to say that you can leave out scontrib, but as
>> far as I remember, it will be needed for building things from the
>> source code (make vuildworld and buildkernel).
>>

> I want to be able to read and compile the source. I have looked at
> ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/
>
> but am unable to find an iso and am not sure how to make a iso or
> install cd from what is provided. I have installed the system minus
> scontrib and it boots ok. Would I be able to get the full source from
> the ftp-archive, exctract it to my FreeBSD system and then re-build and
> install the system?
>
> thanks,
>
> Brett.

How about this?

ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/5.2/

You may be able to get the iso from alternate places too. And as Glen
said you can get the sources from SVN. In fact, you can get the sources
from CVS without trying to install an SVN client. You will need the
cvsup-without-gui package as csup was not in the base of 5.2 AFAIK.
There is a ready package for 5-STABLE here:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/net/cvsup-without-gui-16.1h_3.tbz

though I am not certain if this will run in 5.2.

You will also need a supfile similar to this (you may wish to change
host to something closer to you)

*default host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_2_0_RELEASE
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all