On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 01:27:42PM -0700, Chris Stankevitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Hello, I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is it true that I have the choice to run these versions of FreeBSD:
>
> 8.0 CURRENT
> 7.2 RELEASE
> 7.2 STABLE
> 7.2 CURRENT
> 7.1 RELEASE
> 7.1 STABLE
> 7.1 CURRENT
> 7.0 RELEASE
> 7.0 STABLE
> 7.0 CURRENT
> 6.4 RELEASE
> 6.4 STABLE
> 6.4 CURRENT

More or less. You can run any version you can get a CD of or that you can
check out of the source repository. But not all of them are
supported. Currently 6.4 and 7.2 are supported, and 8.0 is in beta.

> 2. For each of the versions above, what version of GCC and VirtualBox is
> available?

The ports tree in general is not tied to a particular version of FreeBSD. But
some ports might be. Particularly, virtualbox requires 7.x. From
/usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox/Makefile:

.if ${OSVERSION} < 700000
BROKEN= Does not compile on FreeBSD 6.X
.endif

> I don't intend for this questions to directly be answered --
> I'm hoping for a site that lists the versions of all packages available
> for a particular version of FreeBSD like this page for gentoo:

AFAIK, packages for a release are built from a snapshot of the ports system
taken at the moment that a release is made. You can find these on FTP servers,
e.g. ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.2-release/
for 7.2 release on the i386 platform. You should of course use a mirror that
is close to you. Not all ports are available as packages, for several possible
reasons. Virtualbox is only available in the packages for 7-stable.

If you want to be on the bleeding edge, you'll probably want to compile ports
from source.

Roland