On 8/19/09, Olaf Leidinger <leid...@web.de> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'd like to install FreeBSD 7.2 on my computer for testing purpuse and
> eventually remove my Linux installation. Using FreeBSD in VirtualBox
> works fine, so far. I can't install it on my real hardware, as the
> installation media won't boot:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41639...@n06/3835572003/
>
> The boot menu appears, but as soon as I press a button OR around one
> second elapses I get a message from the bootstrap loader (have a look at
> the image).
>
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
>
> And the system seems frozen. This happens with the AMD64 install media.
> Using i386 install media I get the same message, but the system reboots
> automatically. Even the PC-BSD install media have the same problem.
>
> My hardware:
>
> Gigabyte board with AMD 770 chipset, two SATA disk in AHCI mode, an IDE
> DVD drive (so nothing special).
>
> Other bootable optical disks (e.g. using isolinux or grub) work fine.
>
> What might be the problem?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,
>
> O.Leidinger

General answer to anyone having trouble booting or working reliably in bsd:

  In BIOS, disable PnP OS (may not have this exact verbiage, another
common one is "Win95 installed")
  Also in BIOS, disable power management (HDD spindown, system standby, etc)

try booting again.  If it still fails, go into BIOS and "Load Safe
Defaults" or whatever they call it, resetting all tweaks of the BIOS
config to defaults and try booting.

Some mobos just have quirks that need a BIOS update, try that last.

Welcome to BSD.