On Aug 21, 2009, at 2:33 PM, John Almberg wrote:

I am currently using rsnapshot to back up these directories on a FreeBSD 7.2 webserver:

/etc
/usr/home
/usr/local
/var/cron

These directories contain all the data and config files that I use... I think...

Question: am I missing anything crucial?

My general advice is to back up everything and then explicitly excluding those things that you know that you don't need. Here is my exclude list from my rsnapshot.conf

 exclude         /var/log
 exclude         /var/tmp
 exclude         /usr/obj
 exclude         /usr/ports/distfiles
 exclude         /usr/local/squid

Also I backup by file system, so I'm already excluding /tmp

It is far to easy to forget something that needs to be backed up.

Cheers,

-j