Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
Well, my problem is that if I add up all I *can* see in top or ps it never gets near the by now 3G plus memory shown as "Active". Maybe one gig is accounted for,

I'm not that familiar with FreeBSD yet, but the kernel uses memory which might not be charged against any process.

For example, to map some virtual memory requires memory to store the mappings in.

Open files have kernel structures, as do filesystems.

If top or ps were only to show userspace memory allocations, then you're right, a lot of memory would be unaccounted for.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
m...@prgmr.com

   prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

      Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen