Mark Stapper wrote:
[snip]
I ordered a "spare" drive so I'll wait until it arrives, replace the
faulty drive with this one by dd-ing data from one to the other (I have
only 4 SATA ports so I can't do "zpool replace").

zpool replace has two forms

        zpool replace pool old-device new-device

and

        zpool replace pool device

The latter is for when you pull the old drive and put the new one on the same {S,P}ATA port because you've no free ports. I did that a couple of weeks ago when one of my raidz drives fried (in its warranty period!) and it worked like a dream. I did a zpool replace and then a zpool scrub to make sure everything was OK because of this section of the zpool man page:

    Scrubbing  and resilvering are very similar operations. The differ-
    ence is that resilvering only examines data that ZFS  knows  to  be
    out  of  date (for example, when attaching a new device to a mirror
    or replacing an existing device), whereas  scrubbing  examines  all
    data to discover silent errors due to hardware faults or disk fail-
    ure.