On 14 Sep 2009 02:50, Chris Maness <ch...@chrismaness.com> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Chris Maness ch...@chrismaness.com> wrote:

> I level 0 dump of my server. I lost a file that I need back. Is it

> possible to use restore like tar and explode it into a directory

> instead of a pristine partition/mount? Or even better, is it possible

> to just extract a single file without exploding the whole tape dump?

> Sorry if the question seems stupid.

> Chris KQ6UP

Sorry, I was reading the restore man from my mac, and it was not as

clear. The restore does not seem to work from my mac (this is where

my backup dumps reside as I have two massive HDs). I guess the mac

restore would only work with HFS+ and not UFS. I guess the only way

would be to move the massive dump file back over to the FreeBSD

server.

Thanks,

Chris KQ6UP

Try using NFS or cat over ssh, something like

$ ssh my_mac 'cat dumpfile' | restore -if -

restore treats the file as a tape, so it doesn't pull any bytes until you ask it to. This should be the least network intensive way of doing it....

Good luck!

Chris