A 'subnet' is a term used to describe a portion of an IP address space,
where each device in that space can communicate with one another without
using a router:

Steve wrote:
192.168.1.0/24 is a subnet, so hosts 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.254
can 'speak' to each other without using a router. If you have more than
one PC, you need a 'switch' or hub to physically connect all of those
devices, so they can all speak to each other. (fwiw, I cringe at the
term subnet).

I have a switch to connect all of these 3 pc's.

Steve wrote:
In the diagram above, you need two NICs in the gateway. One goes to the
ISP, and the other 192.168.1.2 goes to the switch. The rest of the
computers also plug into the switch. If all of the devices have
192.168.1.x, they are all in the same subnet.

If the 2 pc's will be connected to gateway directly and another one with the
switch, then all 3 pc's won't be in one subnet. Right?

> I want to use this one:
> |-------<pc 192.168.1.5>
>

> ISP x.x.88.17>---<x.x.88.20 Gateway192.168.1.2>---<Switch>---<pc
> 192.168.1.6>

|     >

|_______<pc 192.168.1.7>

Steve wrote: