On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 12:37:54AM +0200, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> Gary Kline skrev:
>
> >     What I'm looking for is how to use the ``better than the
> >     default voices''; there are several english languages that
> >     are fairly natural sounding.  Nothing I've googled explain
> >     using the quality voices for FreeBSD.
> >
> >     gary
>
> http://espeak.sourceforge.net/docindex.html

        Tried/found this before at least once.   The cmdline:

        % espeak mb-en1 "hello"

        outputs the string data that "hello" is composed on.  Following further
with
        the linux example is difficult because there is no
"usr/local/share/espeak/en1"
        --neither file nor directory.  I did locate  the 796-byte data file:
        /usr/local/share/espeak/espeak-data/mbrola_ph/en1_phtrans but don't
have a clue.

        <OPINION>
        From what I've been able to glean, this mbrola stuff is > ten years
old.  Whoever
        was laboring away just  dropped it.  I've dug into this computer
generated speech
        just a tiny bit.  Yes, it is possible to have Very real-sounding
voices, nearly
        human-sounding.  But the complexity is extreme.  No wonder the
high-quality voices
        cost $thousands.
        </OPINION>

        Suggestions?