Kikachi Kozumi wrote:
Hi,

I tried installing phpMyAdmin in an ezjail created jail already
installed with apache22, mysql and php5 running FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE
i386 with no X11 (headless).
The port install failed when dependency 'libXau-1.0.4' configure
couldn't find gnome-config:

checking for XAU... gnome-config: not found
configure: error: Package requirements (xproto) were not met.

I'm not sure if this issue is specific to my system or is it a ports
issue but I found that libXau-1.0.4 was in the ports tree since
January 2009 so it's less likely to be an issue with the port itself.

Right now I'm not sure if the required gnome-config is lost from my
system or was never there in the 1st place. What can I do to continue
with phpMyAdmin installation?

I'm also curious why the phpMyAdmin port requires libX11 libraries to
build while the phpMyAdmin website states that php, mysql and apache
are the requirements for running phpMyAdmin?

phpMyAdmin only depends on X through one of the optional extensions:
php5-gd.  If you disable the GD and PDF options in the configuration
dialogue you'll not need to install any X related dependencies.  Or
you can rebuild graphics/gd using 'WITHOUT_X11=yes' if you want to be
able to generate PDF of database schemas etc through phpMyAdmin.

Hmmm... as far as I can tell, gnome-config is not a run-time dependency
of phpMyAdmin even when compiled with all options enabled and with X11
support in the gd libraries.  Either gnome-config is a build dependency
from somewhere way down the dependency tree (ie. only needed to build something, not needed to run it) or you've got a misplaced 'USE_GNOME'
somewhere.  In general, USE_FOO is for port maintainers only and shouldn't
appear in /etc/make.conf or any other Makefile that gets generally included
everywhere.  Use WITH/WITHOUT_FOO in /etc/make.conf to indicate global
preferences.  (Gentoo we ain't)

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                 Flat 3