On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 02:42:53AM -0800, W. J. Williams wrote:
> hi hope someone knows the answer to this riddle...I am trying to get NIS
> up and running.
>
> 1.  one master, no slave...domain name is lab-nis-domain
> 2.  Master rc.conf file contains enabling commands to start nis server as
> well as nis_yppasswdd.  The build of the /var/yp/lab-nis-domain indicated
> "built with no errors"
>
> 3.  client machine rc.confs contain domain name, nis_client_enable,
> rpcbind_enable.
>
> 4.  when I run ypcat passwd from any client machine I get a list of avail
> passwords from the master domain...  all looked good...
>
> 5.  created a new user on master, ran make lab-nis-domain and it said
> "domain already current"...so I copied the updated master.passwd file to
> /var/yp and ran make again...still same message.

How & where did you create the new user on the master?

The user should not exist in the client machine master.passwd.

Try adding a test user with: pw useradd -Y -y /var/yp/master.passwd testuser

Try logging into the master with the new user. Success? Try the client.

HTH

        -Mike

> 6.  as last resort I ran ypinit -m again to rebuild the entire
> domain..then ran ypcat passwd from client machine and was able to see the
> new account.
>
> 7.  MY PROBLEM:  I can't log into the client machine using the new
> account...I have added the +::::::::: string to master.passwd and +:*::
> string to group file...but still no work.
>
> any ideas?
>
> Will

Michael Galvez             http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mrg8n
University of Virginia        Messenger Mail: Carruthers Hall

Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.