On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, d...@safeport.com wrote:

[xdm slow startup]

The answer appears to be to add an empty LISTEN statement to /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess. The xdm package issues a IPV6 DHCP request. While the xdm man page suggests this is not needed:

      To disable listening for XDMCP connections altogther, a line of
      LISTEN with no addresses may be specified, or the previously
      supported method of setting DisplayManager.requestPort to 0 may
      be used.

This seems not to be the case as adding this line gets rid of the long delay and suppresses the IPV6 DHCP request. The DisplayManager.requestPort is set to 0 in the default configuration. This solves the long start (I am pretty sure). Thank you for your suggestions that pushed me to find this.

Hmm. That sounds like a bug (maybe IPV6 support being added but the feature to disable it being forgotten). Does having an IPV6 localhost defined in /etc/hosts ("::1 localhost") have the same effect?

I am also pretty sure my hardware just does not work with hal and dbus.

What keyboard and mouse do you have? Also, which version of FreeBSD are you using?