On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Warren Block wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, d...@safeport.com wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, d...@safeport.com wrote:

[non applicable stuff cut]

Starting xdm gives the following in /var/log/xdm-log:

    :
 finished PLL1
 set RMX
 set LVDS
 enable LVDS
 disable primary dac
 disable FP1
 disable TV
 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/X: Undefined symbol "shmctl"
 xdm error (pid 1416): server unexpectedly died
 xdm error (pid 1416): Server for display :0 can't be started, session
 disabled

This is mostly likely because my 7.2 libc is earlier than the one used to build the package. I am told that, "there's a strong argument that 7-stable packages should actually be built against 7.0, which defines the binary interface, but the portmgr folks are not convinced to do so".

After updating ports, 'portsdb -Fu' and 'portversion -vL=' will show what's outdated. (That's with portupgrade installed. Some would have you believe it's second in evil only to HAL. Maybe true, but it works.)

And then 'portupgrade -r portname' (or 'portupgrade -ar', if you like) should upgrade the outdated stuff and everything that depends on it. And -P or -PP might help by retrieving packages, although I haven't tried that in years.

This includes libc? man 2 libc

As an end-user I would at least plead for a doc-change. This bit explains a lot of 'random' behavior that gets reported. Getting an error is the best that can be hoped for. A change in a syscall that produces a silent error is much more time consuming. Xorg being Xorg this is just, I am sure, the next layer. This is also most likely the answer to threads on 10/09/09 and 12/17/09.

Is the slow startup with xdm fixed by upgrading libc? By replacing the package or via ports?

Still building Warren, will let you know.