Hi Roland,

many thanks for the response!!! :-)

I waited until I had a test server setup and at least now I do......

In fact I think from my usage perspective FreeBSD is not that difficult to understand!!!

I now have a test machine setup which I built nano and Bind 9.6.1 from the ports collection and I have ntp and nfs setup too.

I am currently wondering what to do about the disk space as nothing is used:

test# df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a     34G    1.2G     30G     4%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /var/named/dev

If I create separate partitions for /var /usr and /tmp I am sure that I won't need that much unless I have a totally dynamic file system which will grow over time. But with minimal usage just to transfer the off file but mainly read files from as now the users are going down to 1 machine (just me) so I think with 2GB I can probably get away with it for each filesystem???

What do you say?

Many thanks to everyone else that responded to this thread/post all your help and advice has been much appreciated!

Regards,

Kaya

P.s. The good part with this is that I'm only using 23MB or memory too which is incredible considering that Linux or Solaris would take so much more. This is kinda cool......