NOTE: Please reply off-list as well as I am not subscribed

My server (7.2-STABLE) suffered at least two outages Sunday through yesterday after having been up since July (it is a rented dedicated server with my FSBD install). The first time, I was able to log in via remotely, saw a ton of spam apparently abusing a php mail form script (more on that later) filling the /var partition. I purged it, but it still required a reboot as CPU was through the roof.

Yesterday morning, I was unable to get into the server at all...pings were very high. I called the provider and got in via KVM over IP. CPU was fine and there wre no full partitions. As I had to catch a flight, I just rebooted it and it was fine.

After getting home, I looked in the syslog and see thousands of these:

Jan 26 21:50:32 host named[667]: client <IP REMOVED>#57938: error sending response: not enough free resources Jan 26 21:50:32 host named[667]: client <IP REMOVED>#59830: error sending response: not enough free resources

Some googling on this error found a reference to a possible queue limiting problem in pf/qlimit, but the only firewalling I do is a very basic ipfw setup strictly for bruteblock.

I am not even sure if this error caused the outage(s) or was caused by them, let alone a fix or workaround. Appreciate any and all clues, especially if you are familiar with this.

TIA!

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
u...@3.am                                                           http://3.am