On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Chuck Swiger wrote:

On Jan 27, 2010, at 10:24 AM, James Smallacombe wrote:
NOTE: Please reply off-list as well as I am not subscribed

OK. In return, please don't cross-post or multi-post the same question to multiple FreeBSD lists.

I posted to the -isp list a couple of hours earlier, then looked at the archives and noticed zero traffic on that list for the past couple of weeks, so I then posted here.

After getting home, I looked in the syslog and see thousands of these:

Jan 26 21:50:32 host named[667]: client <IP REMOVED>#57938: error sending
response: not enough free resources
Jan 26 21:50:32 host named[667]: client <IP REMOVED>#59830: error sending
response: not enough free resources

Were these client IPs expected to be talking to this machine?  It

This server is authoritative for a few hundred domains, so I would imagine anybody doing a query on any of them would need to talk to it...unless I misunderstand what you mean by "talk".

indicates a problem sending UDP traffic; netstat -s output would be

Unfortunately, I did not have time for netstats or tcpdumps when this was happening and I've not seen this log entry since yesterday evening.

informative. You might find that setting options in named.conf to tune the # of outstanding queries will help:

clients-per-query 10;
max-clients-per-query 20;

Thanks, I will look into those. the man page for named.conf doesn't tell you much and my latest cricket book is 3rd edition (only up to BIND 8), so I guess it's time to break down and get the latest.

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
u...@3.am                                                           http://3.am