On Friday 14 March 2003 05:59 pm, Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any experts who are willing to talk with me off list about
> upgrading? (4.4 -> 4.7 or 5.0)

You don't need much help off list.  There is very good documentation for what
you want to do in the handbook at www.freebsd.org/handbook.  Also you don't
want 5.0 unless you can figure out the upgrade by yourself.  See the early
adopters guide on why.
        For the upgrade procedure, use the steps in the section of the handbook for
upgrading your source using something like cvsup:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
make sure to use the right cvs tag.  RELENG_4_7  is probably what you want in
your supfile.
Then use the next section of the handbook for how to rebuild:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
making sure to read the section on rebuilding your kernel.
The order minus the details is
make buildworld
mergemaster -p
make buildkernel
make installkernel
reboot to single user mode
mount -a
make installworld

of course read the details in /usr/src/UPDATING and the handbook.  Once you've
read all of the relevant sections and cant get it to work, then ask some
questions on the list and we'll be glad to help.  Make sure to either make
good backups first or use a non critical machine to test the upgrade on.

Tim