Dan Naumov wrote:
Hey

A 64kb freebsd-boot partition should be more than plenty for what you
want to do, see my setup at: http://freebsd.pastebin.com/QS6MnNKc

Interesting. I read somewhere that the boot partition should not be too large as the entire partition is loaded into memory. I re-partitioned my drive to create a 64KiB freebsd-boot partition and I no longer get the error. It would appear that there is an undocumented maximum size to the freebsd-boot partition. In my case, a 1MiB boot partition was too large.

Now I need to teach gptboot in ad4p1 how to find my root partition in ad4p4 without manual intervention. Is there a GPT equivalent to boot0cfg?

gptboot currently attempts to boot:

   0:ad(0p2)/boot/kernel/kernel

I'd like it to boot:

   0:ad(4p4)/boot/loader

How does the boot process discover the partition in which the gptboot loader resides?

And GPT is pretty damn slick.  Nice work FreeBSD hackers.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells