On Wednesday 12 of May 2010 06:07, Glenn Sieb wrote:
> I'm getting a route added upon reboot with the hostname of the box,
> going to lo0.
> It's preventing things like, pinging itself. I can manually delete the
> route, but.. where is it being set to begin with?!

well, that behaviour is what i would expect. After all, the machine knows that
to ping its own ip, it has to use the lo0 interface.
It just resolves your ip with the hostname of the machine.
So as far as i see, this is the intended behaviour.

(You can use netstat -rn to see the actual ip and not hostnames.)

If you can't ping localhost, i'd say that the problem lies elsewere.
(firewalls probably)
You can check with tcpdump to see what happens and your pings don't get a
reply.

--
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to
understand.