> Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:40:14 +0100
> From: "Graeme Dargie" <a...@tangerine-army.co.uk>
> Subject: RE: Media streaming
> To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James Phillips [mailto:anti_spam...@yahoo.ca]
>
> Sent: 28 May 2010 18:23
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: RE: Media streaming
>
> > Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 00:14:09 +0100
> > From: "Graeme Dargie" <a...@tangerine-army.co.uk>
> > Subject: RE: Media streaming
> > To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

Sorry, DRM is an alphabet soup of "Standards" and industry consortia. I was
unaware of DLNA and read it as: DTLA. However, if you look at the "Overview and
Vision White Paper," you will see that DTCP/IP (administered by DTLA) is
required for the link layer of DLNA:
http://www.dlna.org/about_us/roadmap/DLNA_Whitepaper.pdf
- page 4, Table 1

The Wikipedia page lists some software that may or may not work:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

<SNIP!>

> The server does not support Digital Transmission Content
> Protection:
> http://www.dtcp.com/
> "Overview" presentation:
> http://www.dtcp.com/documents/dtcp/DTCP_Overview.pdf
>
> In essence, you are supposed to encrypt the video stream
> lest you copy it.
>
> I am a little surprised the TV would refuse to work with an
> unencrypted stream, which is why I did not respond to your
> first post.
>
> Regards,
>
> James Phillips
>
> Hi James
>
> I said the TV was DLNA compliant, those links at the brief
> look I had appears to be the sort of encryption you would
> see on a HD signal via HDMI that would prevent you say
> recording HD content to your PVR device and then playing it
> back to a blu-ray recorder and "recording" it to disc. I had

I get the impression that DTCP is an "umbrella" DRM standard that that allows
the other DRM standards to inter-operate. DTCP is administered by the Digital
Transmission Licensing Administrator: a consortium of five companies including
Hitachi, Intel, Panasonic, Sony, and Toshiba.

HDMI uses another scheme called High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
(HDCP) for encrypting the video.
http://www.digital-cp.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

DTCP will likely intervene in the step where you move the video from the PVR to
the Blu-ray recorder.

When it comes time to record the information on the disk, a third scheme comes
into play: Advanced Access Content System (AACS)
http://www.aacsla.com/home
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System
The Wikipedia page appears to be more readable.

> done a fair bit of googling on this before posting to the
> list, it seems Sonys' implementation of DLNA is a bit
> "loose" shall we say, I have seen a lot of people having
> issues with DLNA complaint NAS devices not working with Sony
> TV`s. As I have stated in a previous post it does work with
> wmp12, but it is not elegant or the solution I want for the
> reasons I stated earlier.

I would expect wmp12 to work because Windows Vista and 7 implement DTCP, and
Microsoft is listed as one of the sponsors of DLNA.

Regards,

James Phillips

PS: my brain hurts reading that too :(