On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:39:12 -0700
Andy Balholm <a...@balholm.com> articulated:

> David Brodbeck wrote:
> > It also hasn't escaped my notice that the original poster has never
> > come back to this thread; I suspect we've been trolled, folks.
>
> That's possible. It's also possible that, after reading the responses
> to his inquiry, the original poster decided that his question had
> been adequately answered, his concerns were justified, and he should
> use a different operating system. If so, I can hardly blame him, even
> though I personally feel that boycotting BSD because of its mascot
> doesn't fit very well with the apostle Paul's advice to the
> Corinthian Christians that it was OK for them to buy from butchers
> who "sacrifice to daemons" (my own translation of "δαιμονίοις θύει"
> in 1 Corinthians 10:20).
>
> The original post looks to me like an expression of sincere concern
> about BSD's image, not an accusation of satanism or an attempt to
> start an argument. I wouldn't call his concern ignorant either:
> although the UNIX term "daemon" is not satanic in origin, some
> aspects of Beastie's appearance are obviously derived from
> traditional depictions of the Devil.

I have always been partial to a passage by a famous American author.

Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the
only animal that has the True Religion — several of them. He is the only
animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his
theology isn’t straight.

        Mark Twain

--
Jerry ✌