On Jul 27, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Kruppa, Peter Ulrich wrote:

> Am 27.07.2010 17:23, schrieb Andy Balholm:
>> Chad Perrin wrote:

>>> Really?  Are you sure they weren't derived from something else -- perhaps
>>> a source in common for the "traditional" depictions of the devil?  There
>>> may be a common source for both, rather than one being the source of the
>>> other.  Correlation does not imply causation.  Did you ask the original
>>> Beastie artist for confirmation that he was consciously emulating images
>>> of the Christian devil, or did you just jump to a conclusion like the OP?
>>>
>> I jumped to a conclusion, but I'll stand by it until someone shows me the
>> ancient common source. I don't recall anything that looks much like Beastie
>> in Greek art.
>>
> Perhaps there are some ancient depictions/sculptures of the greek god Pan
> (god of the shepherds) around? Pan partially resembles a goat.

The BSD daemon doesn't look like a goat (or Pan) at all. Maybe he has cloven
hooves inside those tennis shoes; I don't know. But Pan could certainly have
had some influence on how the Devil was traditionally drawn.

My point wasn't that there is no earlier source that traditional depictions of
the Devil draw on. They aren't based on anything in the Bible, so it seems
quite likely that there is. I was just saying that the BSD daemon is not
derived from that ancient source _independently_; its immediate source is
almost certainly the traditional depictions of demons.

Andy Balholm
(509) 276-2065
a...@balholm.com