On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Chad Perrin wrote:

I was not entirely sure before today whether the 4050N could handle
straight PostScript instead of PCL, but the test I performed using nc to
see if it would print properly involved using pdf2ps and no other file
format transformations, so it seems PS is fine in this case.

The LJ4050 is a great printer. The PS emulation works well and it's very smart about paper trays and input. Sort of the Douglas DC3 of lasers; I know of a couple with page counts over a million.

For further information on lpd and filters, let me repost the link to my lpd article, which I really should have posted yesterday but forgot:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html