On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 01:31:06AM -0500, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> What are the chances that that those 'problem' PDFs are designed for a
> slightly _different_ paper size, and CUPS is -nto- 'scaling' to fit the
> actual paper size?

When printing via a method that bypasses CUPS (using netcat), it prints
just fine -- and does not fit within the confines of the top and bottom
margins that are cutting off the content when printing via CUPS.  The PDF
does extend outside of what might be considered "reasonable" margins for
something like an interoffice memo, but does not run all the way to the
edges of the paper; CUPS just doesn't want to print as far "north" and
"south" as the PDF's content goes, evidently.

> I don't know diddly-squat about CUPS, but this sounds an awful lot like
> what happens when a printer has 'letter' paper loaded, but has been told
> that it has size 'A4' paper.

CUPS in this case has definitely been told it has US Letter size paper.

> Look for configuration settings in whatever is doing the Postscript/PDF
> rendering, with regard to 'substiting' one paper size for another.

This has been addressed in other discussion in this thread.  It is likely
pdf2ps (part of ghostscript) that is doing the translation to PostScript;
the other alternative is pdftops.  Both of them provide a complete
PostScript file, with all content on the page, but when either the PDF or
the PS output of either of those tools is printed using CUPS the same
problem arises.  Using pdf2ps to produce PS output, which is then sent to
the printer using netcat, produces a neatly printed page with no
problems, however -- other than the minor problem that I'm using netcat
to send jobs to my printer rather than a front end for a proper printing
queue.