Ivan Voras wrote:
On 08/31/10 14:44, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
Hello.

Suppose I have an executable which I need to invoke repeatedly (e.g. to
run tests in a makefile).
This executables spend most of its time loading (rather than
processing), due to the need of several huge shared libraries.

I'd welcome an hint on how to speed this up.
Possible thing would be to "cache" these shared libraries (and possibily
the executable too) in memory, so that any invocation after the first is
faster.
Is this possible at all?

Normal file system caching will cover this case (unless you have very little memory available). The only other thing you might do to speed this up is prebinding / prelinking but if you are often rebuilding the project it might not help.
With the PathScale compiler we tightly integrate hugetblfs support on linux. (At some point we'll likely adapt this approach to work with FBSD superpages) It can provide significant speed-up in some cases. (Like the initial loading of Firefox and some SPEC benchmarks) I would give that a try and see what sort of results you get.. (Not exactly what you were asking about, but could help)