On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:11:10 -0400
Jules Gilbert <jules.sto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A typical FBSD user wants to be able to do a ports-based install, or
> perhaps a pkg_add and, presto, out of the box, have a browser.
>
> And, here it comes...  Wait for it.
>
> Without too much trouble, have a running Java, connect to that browser
> and working.  And it doesn't matter if some of us like or don't like
> Java.  It's here and it's staying here.  In ten years, and probably in
> twenty years, it will still be an important part of a typical OS
> environment.
>
> I understand that Sun declined to allow pre-built configurations to be
> shipped.  Okay.

Personally, I haven't used java for a long time (or even noticed its
absence - unlike flash), so I 'm a bit behind the times. What's the is
the problem?

If they are stopping pre-built packages then that presumably just means
the end of the diablo ports. Before those port existed I don't recall
the plug-in situation as being any worse than slightly irritating. Is
there more to it than that?