On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:46:35 -0400, Michel Talon <ta...@lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:

Jerry said:

"Starting in Firefox 3.6, you also need the new Java plugin included in
Java 6 Update 15 and above."

OK, this explains why my plugin doesn't work. So the only solution is to
use the port firefox35 hoping that other components (flash plugin
support) also work in this case.

This, by the way, is probably the correct and only answer the OP was looking for. I had Java working just fine in a previous install, but hadn't bothered with it lately so I didn't want to answer the OP and possibly misinform. The OP didn't mean to troll (thus the non-descriptive yet truthful subject line), but we got treated to a big pointless discussion of whether or not Java is useful/evil anyway, with the added joy for some of us of receiving many copies of the responses thanks to the cross-posting. Sometimes people just want the _technical_ answer, not the _political_ one, regardless of the strength of your convictions.

Brian