On 17.09.2010 02:45, Chabane HEMDANI wrote:
  I'm computer science teacher at university of Tizi-ouzou in Algeria. I'm
using FreeBSD since 2007 when I "discover" it by chance when searching in
the Web something about Linux.
  Since that date, I always invited and recommended to my students to install
and use this "magical" and my favorite system.

However, all my students retort me that they have a problem of installing
their printers. I have so this problem, so I can't tell good-bye
definitively to winosor and Linux. I always need them for printing.

I've search, read, learn, follow instructions about nearly all the
web-documentation about installing a new printer to work under cups without
any success. I've  an HP Laser Jet 1018 printer and tools given by package
print/hplip don't work correctly.

I'm using FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE
I've rebuild a kernel without  ulpt.
I modified my /etc/rc.conf to enable cupsd and hpiod and  hpssd.
I modified /etc/devfs.rules like suggested by cups (see pkg_info -D
cups-base-1.4.4 ).
I've made many other configurations like that suggested at
http://diablotins.org/index.php/Imprimer,_hplip
<http://diablotins.org/index.php/Imprimer,_hplip%20>
and finally, I've given to my students the wrong  answer that "no one can
print under FreeBSD !"

Please where is the problem?
Please help me to help others.
Please help me to enlarge the FreeBSD users community.

:-)

Definitely, I am feeling very "lucky".

We have 2 multi-functional devices here.

1 - Samsung SCX-4100 .
Once I installed SPLIX and the CUPS "system", I manually added the device to CUPS (using SCX-4200 ppd file) and print 2-3 test pages. For the moment I have not tried scanning. (p.s. for printing, I tried first using lpd and the foomatic filter but the filtering process unexpectedly broke: probably a misconfiguration with foomatic or a bug in it).

2 - HP Photosmart C3180.
Once I installed HPLIP and adjusted some permissions I used a hp sw tool to update the CUPS printers' database (all with the __default__ 8.1 kernel). I then Succesfully printed a test page and successfully tested the device as a scanner (blank scanning of the plate).

The "annoying" and computer-time-consuming part was recompiling gtk and qt with CUPS support, that was not the default when I first installed everything. In the end, CUPS was also easy to use to share the 1st printer in our small and simple network.

To close, a sincere thank you to all the people directly/indirectly involved in all the branches (mailing lists too :-) ) of this project.

daniele