On Saturday 18 September 2010 6:09:57 pm per...@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Polytropon <free...@edvax.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't that exactly what CUPS is supposed to be?
> >
> > Obviously not.
>
> Er, I said "is supposed to be", not "is" :)  "Common Unix Printing
> System" certainly sounds as if the intent was to be the "ONE thing
> that is used for printing".  Whether they did a good job of it is
> another question entirely :(

I think that you don't fully apreciate the task at hand.  When Unix was first
invented, there were no laser printers, ink jets, USB, etc.

That no one can create a one-size fits all solution OWES to the fact it's
simply not always possible to unify disparate designs.  They weren't designed
to be interoperable.  Technology keeps marchng forward. We need to discard all
of it eventually.

If you want easy, peasy printing success under *nix, choose a Postscript
capable printer that has a network connection and supports IPP. Make sure the
priner has a .ppd file available for it. You can get this file for free before
buying the printer itself.
I use (and love) my Brother HL-6050DN mono Laser. I'd like to get a Brother
color laser, but it has to wait...