On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Fred wrote:

I need to buy an expensive logic device programmer that connects to a PC through USB. Unfortunately, the user software that make it go only runs on Bill Gates' cancerous, virus-infested, scourge of the Earth excuse for an OS which I do not use. Is it likely to work ok using wine? What type of programs do not work well with wine? There is a supported, commercial version of wine that runs on Linux. Would I be better off buying that and running it on the FBSD Linux emulation?

If you were to be more specific about the device you're considering, someone may be able to suggest specifics.

Sometimes Wine is surprising. This was the case when I managed to run the Arduino software on Wine under FreeBSD. That software speaks to the microcontroller via serial or USB-to-serial:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/AVR/ArduinoWINE

If your device speaks serial like that, it might work well. If it wants to do low-level hardware or anything uncommon, it probably will not work in Wine.

If you have to get the device anyway, there's little harm in trying it on Wine. If it doesn't work, you've lost nothing but time, and probably not much of that.