NOTE: Slightly OT, but figured it was worth the post.

As a side-note, the config-file will be "cleaned up" before being embedded into the
kernel. Meaning "config -x `sysctl -n kern.bootfile`" will rarely ever match the config
that was used to generate the kernel in the first place.

Specifically, comments are removed, and if you've nested configs using the
"include" statement, redundant and/or conflicting directives will be
consolidated.

If you instead wish to embed the kernel config AS-IS, comments and structure
remaining in-tact, you should instead:

        cd /sys/ARCH/conf
        config -C -g CONFIG

NOTE: `/sys' ought to be a symbolic link to `/usr/src/sys'
NOTE: ARCH is to be replaced with something like "i386", "amd64", etc.
NOTE: CONFIG is to be replaced with something like "GENERIC", "PAE",
"MYCUSTOMKERNELCONFIG", etc.

Then one simply does the following to compile the kernel:

        cd ../../compile/CONFIG
        make depend
        make

BUT... then again not everybody:
a. compiles their own custom kernels
b. uses a custom config
c. needs to be able to extract the config verbatim from the compiled kernel

YNMV (Your Needs May Vary).
--
Devin

Not off topic at all, and much appreciated. A lot of what has been offered as a result of my OP is a bit over my head at this stage of the game, but much isn't. I'm gaining on it!

Cheers...

Rem