On 6/8/11 5:56 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

> Well, people,
>
> It's been a long, long century.  I've been down for 5 days.
> Couldn't understand _why_ I couldn't ping anywhere [expect the
> Server itself].  Finally, tho, it became more and more likely that
> my FreeBSD was fine ... even tho I kept stripping the most likely
> problem points.  My large 16-port LinkSys router was either *it* or
> it was some kind of bug unknown to geekdom.  After a friend bought
> me a new (and tiny) 8-port switch, yes!  I could ping everywhere.
>
> I'm still bringing back the dozens of things I removed from ethic.
> And testing new ideas.  But I have a general question: have any of
> you wizards who run your own domains or otherwise use a switch [or
> hub] *ever* had it just-quit?!  It is solid-state.  Yes, the box is
> within my feet/foot reach.  I have accidently kicked it i suppose,
> but still.
>
> After wandering in the wilderness for 5 days, <<mmph>>, dunno.
>
> gary
>
> PS: yes, this is a serious question.  1) I like things-Cisco, and
> LinkSys.  I just bought this switch about 2.5 years ago, so I really
> am looking for feedback.
>
> PPS:  Another question to ask about upgrading is next.

Gary,

I have had to replace my linksys 8 port switch twice in the past 10
years I have been maintaining my own domain.  In fact, when I
have a "lost network connection" error, after verifying that it's not
the computer, not the Wireless AP, then I look at this box.  Most
of the time a simple power cycle restores functionality.  Yes it's
more or less solid state, but it is busy 24/7 between my kids surfing,
my job, my wife's research, the dvr updating, the iTouch's downloading
apps, my smart phone receiving email, etc.  Sometimes it just
fails...

And sometimes it just keeps chugging on, my Cisco 800 DSL modem is
as old and aside from the initial setup and arguging with the DSL
provider, it has been working for the same 10 years, no failures,
just the occasional dslam drop that requires a reboot and I'm back
online.

Patrick