On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 06:01:03PM -0400, Daniel Staal wrote:

> Depending on your needs, Soekris, ALIX, or Netgate products could all work.
> Most don't have large numbers of ports (2-5 built in are standard, and some
> have expansion capability), but can run some higher-level processing while
> doing switching work.

I appreciate the information.  Unfortunately, while I can find products
offered under these brands for sale on the Internet, this is not (as I
mentioned) within my areas of expertise, so I'm finding the information
about the products somewhat opaque.  In many cases, it's not even obvious
which of the products I find are suitable for building various types of
network switches.  Do you know of any Webpages that might help me rectify
my dearth of understanding in this area?

Thanks to the completeness of documentation such as the FreeBSD Handbook,
learning how to build firewalls and routers is a relatively trivial
exercise.  Switches are another matter entirely. . . .