On 06/09/2011 15:49, Rob wrote:
On 6/6/11 8:39 PM, Mario Lobo wrote:
You need to rebuild your kernel with

options COMPAT_FREEBSD32 # Compatible with i386 binaries

included.

I noticed that when I tried to build the ports, but I don't have
anything in /usr/src and no information was given as to what
packages/src I needed to install. I'd like to avoid diverging from the
stock release kernel for upgrade simplicity. What exactly does that do?
Will it introduce upgrade complexity (ie will I have to upgrade these
libs before I upgrade the kernel or some such)?

Needless to say, that option seems to be enabled in GENERIC:

[starlight] ~ > grep COMPAT_FREEBSD32 /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD32        # Compatible with i386 binaries

Also I don't remember having to issue make build32 install32 or anything of that sort.

You do need to have the FreeBSD source tree installed on your system, though. Did you try just fetching the source tree without building from it and then trying to build VirtualBox again?

~ Ondra