On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Chris Whitehouse wrote:

# cat <ps-file> |lpr -Plp

I get the whole text of the file not just "Is this thing working?".

The printer has various emulations, it is set to PCL 6 and I can't change it (not my printer)

HP printers can use PJL sequences to set the page description language, or autodetect it via the first few characters. But if someone in charge decided to stick you with PCL6 that should also include PCL5.

Printing from OpenOffice just produces screeds of garbage, starting with %!PS so I presume the text of the postscript that OO has produced.

The bit I'm stuck on is in section 9.4.1.3 Simulating PostScript on Non PostScript Printers (which I presume is what I need), specifically setting the device. gs -h doesn't show this printer or any Kyocera printer. So either what should I set Device to, or how do I get ghostscript to know about this printer?

The ljet4 driver in Ghostscript produces PCL5. I think there's also a PCL6 driver, but have never bothered.

My printing document here shows how to create a PS to PCL5 filter:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html