On 23/09/2011 01:08, Frank Shute wrote:
> I had to use them because my static IP all of a sudden became dynamic
> (crappy ISP). Now it seems to have gone back to static again.

There are much better ISPs in the UK -- usually the smaller ones give
you much better service.  You can get a /28 fixed block as part of a
standard package if you shop around.

> I certainly wouldn't consider running my own DNS server (having done
> it). It's more trouble than it's worth and is just one more
> vulnerability/thing to go wrong. You can just use hosts for a small
> network.

Not my experience.  Running my own DNS is simple and trouble free, plus
it gives me much more scope to play with things like DNSSEC.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
JID: matt...@infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW