On 02/08/12 17:37, Da Rock wrote:
On 02/08/12 17:30, Da Rock wrote:
On 02/08/12 17:24, Robert Bonomi wrote:
Subject: Re: Debug Brother MFC-9560CDW failure to print

On 02/08/12 03:33, Jerry wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:57:26 +1000
Da Rock articulated:

Just noticed something: have you specifically got a postscript module
in your printer? Because that is what it is sending your printer...

I only just found that in the logs :)
I have used every PPD file I could find; both those supplied by CUPS
and those found on the NET. It doesn't make any difference. I can only get a page printed if I use the LPR option, otherwise only a blank page
is ejected. By the way, if I use a B&W PPD instead of the color laser
one, a B&W document is printed when I use the LPR option; therefore, it
is apparent that something is actually using that PPD.

If you search, you will find that there are numerous reports of
problems with blank pages and the CUPS 1.5.0 version. Those that I have
personally checked are usually also associated with FreeBSD, which
leads me to believe it is a local phenomenon. Luckily, I can print
through Windows, so I am not stuck with this BS.

By the way, the test page printed is the one that is supplied with CUPS.
Interestingly, it prints its own page but not one feed to it. Go
figure ...
From what I see right now, you're printing ps to a non ps printer. So
I'm a little surprised that you get a test page that way.
Strange.  When I check the specs for that printer, it says it it has
following printer-language support: "PCL6,BR-Script3"

"BR-Script3" Is Brother's implementation of PostScript -- thus not having
to py Adobe's licensing fees for the "genuine" interpreter.
Interesting. I haven't heard that before. That said, it would take more than a simple name change to beat off the blood-sucking lawyers... so just how close to postscript is it? And how perfectly does cups interpret it as well?
A quick glance at wikipedia doesn't show the 9560 as compatible to ps 2 or 3
Excuse me, yet again.

I remember now, (it's been close to ten years since I worked on these monsters) that used to be a "selling" feature; not really a feature technically :) I think some of the earliest models used to have a genuine interpreter built-in. Maybe it was too expensive to sell?

I don't know exactly in what direction it has gone now, but it appears not all are compatible.