On 02/08/12 17:59, Robert Bonomi wrote:
 From owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org  Wed Feb  8 01:46:35 2012
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:37:16 +1000
From: Da Rock<freebsd-questi...@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Debug Brother MFC-9560CDW failure to print

On 02/08/12 17:30, Da Rock wrote:
On 02/08/12 17:24, Robert Bonomi wrote:

On 02/08/12 03:33, Jerry wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:57:26 +1000
Da Rock articulated:

Just noticed something: have you specifically got a postscript module
in your printer? Because that is what it is sending your printer...

I only just found that in the logs :)
I have used every PPD file I could find; both those supplied by CUPS
and those found on the NET. It doesn't make any difference. I can only
get a page printed if I use the LPR option, otherwise only a blank
page
is ejected. By the way, if I use a B&W PPD instead of the color laser
one, a B&W document is printed when I use the LPR option;
therefore, it
is apparent that something is actually using that PPD.

If you search, you will find that there are numerous reports of
problems with blank pages and the CUPS 1.5.0 version. Those that I
have
personally checked are usually also associated with FreeBSD, which
leads me to believe it is a local phenomenon. Luckily, I can print
through Windows, so I am not stuck with this BS.

By the way, the test page printed is the one that is supplied with
CUPS.
Interestingly, it prints its own page but not one feed to it. Go
figure ...
     From what I see right now, you're printing ps to a non ps
printer. So
I'm a little surprised that you get a test page that way.
Strange.  When I check the specs for that printer, it says it it has
following printer-language support: "PCL6,BR-Script3"

"BR-Script3" Is Brother's implementation of PostScript -- thus not
having
to py Adobe's licensing fees for the "genuine" interpreter.
Interesting. I haven't heard that before. That said, it would take
more than a simple name change to beat off the blood-sucking
lawyers... so just how close to postscript is it? And how perfectly
does cups interpret it as well?
A quick glance at wikipedia doesn't show the 9560 as compatible to ps 2 or 3
*sigh*  "Yet another reason" why Wikipedia should not be used/trusted, when
authoritative sources -- like Manufacturer specifications -- are available.

See:

<http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/us/us/en/colorlasermfc/mfc9560cdw_us/spec/index.html>

scroll down to the 'Printer' section.  Check out the 'Emulation' line-item.
Notice also the 'Direct Print' item, where the printer can also _directly_
handle 'PDF 1.7' documents.
Ok. Now I get where you're coming from. I'm coming from the point of view of the guy that gets in the guts of the beasts and inserts the chips in question; so I'm coming from the other way :) For reference the pdf interpreter is a different kettle of fish as far as the printer is concerned- no where near as involved as ps. Mostly tied with the scanner? That's about the timing of its arrival as a feature on printers (multifunctional).

From experience the interpreters differ very slightly, and we're coming from the basis of not only one poser, but 2 posers. ghostscript on the one hand, and br-script3 on the other. I know ghostscript doesn't always get it exactly right every time, and neither does br-script. The only way for perfection is to use one from start to finish- hence why Adobe wins every time because print shops graphic arts are usually already using Adobe. So it could simply be a "near miss" :) PCL will usually "just work" - don't know precisely why that should be, but it does. Less licensing/legals? May mean there doesn't need to be a point of difference.

Take for example java: one java vm version should be the same as the next of the same version (think iced-tea v sun java), and yet small differences cause issues to creep in and render the app completely useless. Same language, different interpreter (close enough, ok pedantics ;) ). Something happened to me and my systems along these lines. (It was horrible! Bits were flying and mangled everywhere.. :P) Another example along these lines would be posix implementations... (dare I bring it up :) )

Hmmm. Having considered all this... I wonder if porting the brother driver might be useful? Although PCL _is_ fully functioning...