Monkeying with IPv6, I discovered that globally routable addresses are what it
says on the tin, so hiding behind a network appliance is not longer viable for
me. An nmap scan showed the port 3306 was hanging out for all to see but  I
couldn't figure out how to close it off. The "--skip-networking" argument seems
not to work, either in my.cnf or as an rc argument. The server just fails to
start. (For some reason the socket is hard-coded to live in /tmp, regardless of
what's in my.cnf but I gave up bothering about that.)

What I ended up doing was adding

mysql_args="--bind-address=127.0.0.1"

to /etc/rc.conf. This seems to work as netstat and sockstat no longer show port
3306 listening and database connections are happening.

Is this the preferred/best way?
--
Paul Beard

Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?